OGONNELLOE HURLING CLUB
The O’Gonnelloe Hurling Club was in existence for many years before the Gaelic Athletic Association was formed in 1884. The Club contested the first Clare Hurling Championship which was held in 1887 and was unsuccessful that year. In 1888 they won the County Championship and represented Clare in Munster. They were drawn against South Liberties inthe Semi-final and when Liberties failed to show on the day O’Gonnelloe were awarded the game. The Munster Championship was never finished that year which left O’Gonnelloe without a chance of being crowned champions. A tribute to the strength and depth of that 1888 team was thefact that they won eighty two of the eighty three games they played.
Two members of that team, John Fitzgibbon, Ballyhurley and Michael Gaynor, Ballyheefy, were selected to be part of the Invasion Team that went to America in September 1888 where the Irishmen played in thirty five cities.
O’Gonnelloe were Junior champions in ’18, ’37, ’42, ’60, ’84 and in 1988, the centenary of their first great Senior Championship win in 1888, they were crowned Jun A, U-21 C, U-14 Div 3 and Div 4 Schools Champions. 1990 East Clare Jun, 1992 East Clare Intermediate, 1995 Clare Intermediate Championship, 1999 Clare Cup and in 2005 the Senior B Championship.
The club colours are black and amber.
The new hurling field ‘Stuart Park’ was officially opened on 6th July 1986. Itwas named after Dr Joe Stuart who was born in Ballybroghan and gave a lifetime of service to the GAA. He was on the winning parish Junior team of1918 and won a Fitzgibbon Cup medal in 1927. With Mick D’Arcy of Tipperary they managed very successful hurling teams, winning three Dublin titles and twelve Fitzgibbon Cups. As a referee he officiated at the Minor Hurling final of 1940, Senior Hurling final of 1943 and the Railway Cup final of 1946. In 1954 he was elected Chairman of the Leinster Council and in 1958 became President of the GAA. The outstanding GAA event during his term of office was the official opening of the Hogan Standin June 1959.